Wednesday 6 July 2016

Merkur Classic Straight Safety Razor

In my intro to wet shaving, i am one of those who loves to research and learn as much as i can to make hopefully the best decision i can. (of course along the way you learn things that help you make better decisions after your initial decisions, and realize some things you didnt know to factor in in your original decision).

If you read around the internet, you will hear a lot about these 1 razors (Merkur 34c/Safety Razor vs Edwin Jagger de89). Many will claim one or the other is better for different reasons (with seemingly the Merkur being the "old school" choice and established choice while the EJ the "flashier" of the two and seemingly the "newcomer".

I originally chose the ej de89 b/c of how "smooth" and forgiving everybody said it was, while yet giving an exceptional smooth shave *(thus satisfying for both the beginner and pro). It definitely delievered. But unfortunately my iKon Bulldog handle for it (to add some weight and grip) one day broke the securing screw on my EJ DE89. I was devastated.

However that gave me a chance to then try the Merkur 34c (albeit I ordered the classic safety razor (3-piece instead of 2-piece razor) so I could use my iKon Bulldog handle to basically "frankenrazor" it to be just like a 34c. I had foudn some obscure personal review where a similar shaver like me (thick coarse hair, sensitive skin) claimed the Merkur provided a "closer shave" due to it being slightly more aggressive than the EJ.

So that is the backstory and setup for this review, In a nutshell, if you are deciding between the Merkur 34c/33c or similar vs the EJ de89 series as a starter.. the Merkur is definitely sturdier, better grip, and a moderately more aggressive shave. That has been IMMEDIATELY clear in my results after only a 2-3 shaves with the Merkur after a month with the EJ.

For me, however, the "moderately aggressive' shave meant more irritation.. MUCH MORE and not nearly as close of a shave. (My girlfriend absolutely complies with me on how the extreme difference in closeness/smoothness to the tough post-shave). This is also in testing the top top blades Ive come down to in myh testing as well - the Astras and the Feathers.

The clear hands-down winner for me is the EJ de89 series. So much smoother, and forgiving, and the shave is much closer to boot - MUCH. I believe it is because the EJ's head design somehow hits the sweet spot on how to hold razors (be it angles, flexing, something) that it just cuts a lot cleaner and with far less irritation.

With the EJ i was having a lot of difficulties narrowing down my blade of choice between Astra and Feathers (although Wilkinson and Personna also performed very well and provided very close shaves). Now I know why. For some reason it just makes many razors perform SUPERBLY that you could pick a few (mild or super sharp) blades and still get that great same smooth shave.

With the Merkur unfortunately, its been nothing but trouble and worse irritatin than i ever got with an EJ even in my first week. Even with an industry recognized "mild" razor such as Astra. And this is after over a month of technique development and practice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment